Building a Buyer Persona
Building a buyer persona is a great way to get an idea of your target market/ideal customer. By giving your persona a name and life, you can really drill down into what motivates them to purchase from you.
Why target your buyer with a persona?
- Website marketing is 2-5 times more effective
- Email click-through rates improve by up to 14%
- Ads are twice as effective as non-targeted ads
Skytap, a self-service provider of cloud solutions got phenomenal marketing results when they created their buyer persona. They had an increase in online leads of 97%, a 55% increase in organic search traffic to their website and a 210% increase in traffic overall. What would you gain by creating your own buyer persona?
Do the research!
- Collect demographics from online surveys and offline questionnaires. SurveyMonkey is great for online surveys. Don’t discount offline (written) surveys, or calling past customers and asking questions on why they purchased from you.
- Website analytics, especially if you’re an e-Commerce site.
- Past purchases & refunds
Build the buyer persona
- Create an imaginary customer/client.
- Look at what your “customer” does and who they are. Are they a Mom or a truck driver or a water skier? Are they female or male? Give them a name, a family, hobbies and pets. You may want to drill down to where they live, what type of car they drive, what books they read or movies they watch.
- Test the persona. Makes tweaks if needed.
Here’s a really cool tool that will take you through the process to build your buyer persona. UpCloseandPersona.com They take you through a very detailed questionaire, so you don’t miss any of the information you need to create a persona that perfectly fits your businesses needs.
Use your new buyer persona to create your content marketing plan for the upcoming year. I think you’ll find it’s easier to create a plan with a specific audience in mind.