The personal data users have to provide when using a service or buying a product includes their names, addresses, email, phone numbers, and financial information. The last one is needed only if it’s an e-commerce site. In that case, the user must provide credit card details.
Why Is It Important For Your Website?
This kind of legal document is a mandatory thing in almost every country in the world. Of course, the specific requirements and details in the policy are different in every country, but most of the policies have common features, like the information on how data will be protected. Those common features and rules are necessary simply because the nature of the internet allows people to access and use websites from different regions and countries. Therefore, if someone breaks the rules and violates the user’s privacy, legal representatives will be able to make their case.
What To Include In Your Policy?
- Information that you will collect from users, which includes their names, physical or e-mail addresses, phones, and their location.
- In case you are using cookies on the website, you must explain to your users how to accept or not accept them.
- You must provide them with information on how you plan on collecting their data.
- You must clearly state how the personal data will be used and will it be shared with third parties.
- Explain to your users how their data will be protected from misuse or unauthorized access.
- Provide them with a detailed explanation and instructions on how to prevent data sharing, but make sure to disclose the potential consequences.